Are you thinking of selling your home? Before your Royal Pacific Realty Realtor® begins showing your home, you’ll want to ensure it’s in tip-top condition. An attractive, well-kept home typically has a better chance of selling sooner.
Minor exterior and interior improvements
Updates can add value to your home without requiring a large renovation bill. Think back to what first attracted you to your home. Now determine how best to highlight and improve your home’s best features.
Here are a few ideas to help spruce up your home’s appearance. Consult with your Realtor® to get a better idea of the types of improvements that will offer the biggest benefits.
An inviting exterior ensures that potential buyers will inspect your home’s interior.
- Keep lawns and gardens well maintained.
- Ensure garage and porch areas are free of clutter and refuse.
- Repair loose siding or pavement.
- Replace any damaged roof shingles, eaves troughs or cracked windows.
- Wash windows, gutters, mailbox and doors.
- Secure loose shutters or awnings.
You can easily improve the inside of your home without spending a significant dollars. Two primary areas to keep in mind are the kitchen and bathroom.
- Ensure kitchen and bathrooms are sparkling clean.
- Repair dripping facets and showerheads.
- Steam clean or replace carpets if necessary.
- Thoroughly clean every room in the house, removing all clutter.
- Repaint dingy walls or kitchen cabinets with a neutral colour.
- Replace worn or outdated countertops and cracked light-switch plates.
- Remove any items (chandeliers) that won’t be included in the sale of the home.
Remember, the more effort put into the initial spuce up, the easier it will be to keep your home looking its best for visits from your Realtor® with prospective buyers.
As well, keep in mind that clutter makes rooms look smaller. Your goal is to create a feeling of spaciousness.
As a courtesy to buyers, leave your home while your Realtor® is conducting a showing.
- Keep pets out of the way – preferably out of your house during the showing.
- Ensure that every room is tidy, well aired and adequately lit.
- Remove money and precious items.
- Open drapes to maximize natural light.
- Keep all stairways and hallways clear.
- Use finishing touches like fresh flowers and candles.
Ask your Royal Pacific Realtor for their checklist to better prepare you for a showing or an open house. By following these relatively simple tips, potential buyers will see your home at its best.