Property tax notices were sent to home owners and businesses in June and are due the first or second business day in July, depending on the municipality.

No tax notice?
Property owners who didn’t receive a tax notice should contact their municipal finance department for a duplicate notice. It’s a property owner’s responsibility to ensure a municipality has the correct mailing address.

New property owners who didn’t receive a tax notice, or received a tax notice with the previous owners’ name(s) on it should:

  • contact the BC Land Title and Survey Authority at 604-630-9630 for a Certificate of Title to prove ownership; and
  • complete the Home Owner Grant application (available online in most municipalities).

Check the due date
Property taxes must be paid, and the Home Owner Grant claimed, by the due date to avoid late penalties.

Reduce your taxes with the Home Owner Grant

The BC Home Owner Grant Program helps reduce residential property taxes for Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who are permanent residents and whose home is their principal residence.

Eight types of grants

1.Regular Home Owner Grant– up to $570 for qualifying home owners. For 2018, the grant is reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed or partitioned value over $1,650,000. (Note: the partitioned value of a property is the property’s assessed value divided by the number of residences on that property). The grant is eliminated on homes assessed at $1,764,000 million in Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, and Capital regional districts and $1,804,000 in a northern or rural area. Learn more.

Laneway homes and multi-family dwellings like a duplex, triplex, and fourplex qualify as separate residences. A suite in your principal residence doesn’t qualify as a separate residence.

2.Home Owner Grant for Seniors – an additional grant up to $275 for qualifying home owners age 65 and older. The total basic and additional grant amounts add up to $845 (or $1,045 in northern and rural areas). The grant is reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed value over $1,650,000 million and eliminated on properties assessed at over $1,819,000 ($1,859,000 in northern and rural areas).

If the seniors, or other additional grant amount, has been reduced or eliminated due to the $1,650,000 threshold, property owners may be eligible for the low income grant supplement.

Apply for the Home Owner Grant and the low income grant supplement separately.

3.Home Owner Grant for Veterans – most veterans can apply for the Home Owner Grant as a person under 65, a senior or a person with a disability.

4.Seniors or veterans with an adjusted net income of $32,000 or less may qualify for the low income grant supplement. A surviving spouse of a veteran may qualify for a low-income grant supplement.

5.Home Owner Grant for People with Disabilities – home owners who are disabled or have a disabled spouse or relative living with them in a principal residence may qualify for this grant.

6.Grant for deceased home owner – a spouse, child, grandchild, parent, brother, sister of the estate of a property owner whose death occurred in the current year and who would have qualified for the Home Owner Grant, can apply to receive the Home Owner Grant for a property that is still registered in the name of a deceased owner or in the name of the executor or administrator of their estate, if you meet the qualification requirements.

7.Multiple Home Owner Grant – the owner can claim multiple Home Owner Grants on eligible buildings or land.

Eligible buildings must be one of the following:

  • a housing co-operative building;
  • a housing corporation building;
  • a housing society building; or
  • a provincially designated apartment building.

Eligible land must be a land co-operative or a multi-dwelling leased parcel.

The owner of an eligible building, land co-operative, or multi-dwelling leased parcel must pass on the benefit of the grant to each eligible occupant. Read: Multiple Home Owner Grant.

8.Retroactive Home Owner Grant – For qualifying home owners, a retroactive grant may be approved for the previous year only. Home owners must:

  • apply in writing for an extension on or after January 1 and before December 31 in the year following the year the owner didn’t apply for the grant; and
  • complete an application form with documentation supporting residency and providing reasons for missing the deadline.

The municipal tax collector, or in rural areas the Surveyor of Taxes, will forward the application to the Home Owner Grant Administration Office. If approved the office will pay the grant.

To apply, complete this application.

Claim the Home Owner Grant
Property owners eligible for the Home Owner Grant must:

  • complete the application on the bottom of the property tax notice or online through the municipality’s Electronic Home Owner Grant (eHOG) service (where available).
  • sign it; and
  • return it to the local municipality by the close of business on the tax payment deadline day.

If a property owner doesn’t claim the Home Owner Grant or incorrectly completes the application or fails to claim the grant, the owner will pay a penalty, typically five per cent, on the outstanding property tax balance. If there’s still a balance owing on January 1 of 2018, daily interest may also be charged.

How to pay property taxes
Check the due date on your tax notice, complete the Home Owner Grant application, and then pay by:

  • mail (must be received by the due date);
  • at a financial institution;
  • at city hall in person or use the city hall drop box;
  • through a mortgage;
  • by installments through the municipality;
  • online at epost (for municipalities subscribing to this service); or
  • by using the municipality’s own online payment system, if one is available.

Each municipality may have several ways to pay. Check with the property tax department to determine which is the most convenient for you. Be sure you understand the terms and conditions for each method.

No credit card payments
Most municipalities don’t take credit card payments for property tax and utility payments. Significant service fees would have to be paid to credit card companies by the municipality.

Deferring taxes
Property owners may be eligible to defer taxes under the BC Property Tax Deferment Program, a low-interest loan program that lets qualifying property owners defer part, or all, of their property taxes on their principal residence.

 There are two programs:

  1. Regular deferment for property owners age 55 and older, surviving spouses, or persons with a disability.
  2. Families with children deferment program.

Visit the BC Ministry of Finance Defer Your Taxes website for details.

For information visit the BC Government’s Property Tax website.

Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver
BC Ministry of Finance